Botswana is a true wilderness, where twenty percent of the country is a protected national park.
Often thought to be Africa’s best-kept secret, it houses amazing areas like the Okavango Delta, the Chobe National Park and the Moremi Game Reserve – all with a multitude of game. In addition to being a place of forests, deserts, great plains and wetlands it is also home to Africa’s third largest river, the Okavango, which creates the Okavango Delta, a warren of lagoons, streams, channels and islands which provide one of the finest game-viewing regions in the world, and also one of the best for birdlife. The finest way to explore the Delta is by mokoro, a type of dug-out canoe, which is both a magical and near mystical journey, especially at sunrise or sunset. The world’s largest inland delta, one of its more astonishing elements is that it eventually disappears into the vast drylands of the Kalahari Desert, where the original Bushmen still live.
Botswana has purposely aimed for and achieved a policy of high-income, low-volume tourism, and as a result it is now home to some of the world’s finest safari camps and lodges.
- Take a sunset mokoro cruise
- Cruise the Chobe River
- Track with the bushmen
- Walk with the elephants at Stanley’s Camp
- Quad-bike on the Makgadikgadi Pans
- If you want to stay at the famous Mombo Camp try to book at least 9 months in advance
- Excess luggage can normally be stored in Maun if you advise us in advance
- In Chobe National Park avoid the day-tripping crowds by staying at Muchenje Safari Lodge
- Make sure a mokoro excursion is part of your trip – it is the ultimate experience in Botswana
- Dry season – April to October
- Green season – November to March
- To experience the Okavango Delta in full flood travel from June onwards
- Game-viewing in the Kalahari is best in December
- The mass zebra migration in the Makgadikgadi Pans occurs during the first few months of the year
- If on a budget consider travelling in the green season (Jan-March) when prices are slashed
- Hippo, Elephant, Wildebeest, Cheetah, Hyena, Wild Dog, Lechwe