A landlocked country which is often described as the most beautiful in all of Southern Africa.
Bordered in the north west by the great Zambezi and in the south west by the Limpopo, it is home to the awesome majesty of Victoria Falls, to swathes of wild savannah and to the magical wilderness of Mana Pools National Park. The Matusadona National Park and Lake Kariba offer a water wilderness while the Matobos National Park is where to go to see 20,000-year old San paintings and for bird-watchers it is as near to heaven as is possible, as it is home to one third of the world’s species of eagle. Nature’s largesse also knows no bounds when it comes to the Hwange National Park, for here some 30,000 elephant are free to roam, whilst the Matopos National Park remains a sanctuary for rhino.
It is a country so rich in nature’s gifts with a super abundance of flora, fauna, game and wildlife. From its great evergreen forests and acres of bush come 60 different species of mammal and more than 500 different species of birds, and well over 130 different types of fish. It is a naturalist’s idea of heaven and still almost unspoilt.
- Gazing at the majestic Victoria Falls
- Catching a dramatic sunset over Lake Kariba
- Canoeing along the Zambezi
- Watching elephants in Hwange National Park
- Walking through the bush in Mana Pools
- Try not to get to Victoria Falls airport too early - there is not a lot on offer at the airport
- For a real thrill, stay in the open-air Doves Nest tree-house at The Hide Safari Camp in Hwange
- Do engage with the locals – Zimbabweans are the friendliest people in Africa
- Walk across the bridge to the Zambian side for a different view of the Victoria Falls.
- Drink the local Zambezi beer – it is far better than most overseas brands
- Dry - May to September
- Green - November to March
- To view the Victoria Falls at their fullest travel from February to May
- The best time for fishing on Lake Kariba is August to March
- For white-water rafting visit in September, October & November
- Big Five, Antelopes, Zebras, Giraffe